Madeit and our buyers use the search bar to search for items - this is done by searching keywords that relate to the product.
In fact the search page is the highest viewed page on madeit.com.au so it's important you write good titles & descriptions, as you may be missing out on possible sales & promotion.
The search bar is found on the left hand side of the website and we give the option to search the Title or Title & Description. So both your Title & Description is a very important marketing tool for your store.
Why is your item title & description important?
To increase buyers finding your item via the search field
To increase your items being found by madeit for features on the front page & newsletter.
How to write a good title?
• The most important thing to remember is to include as many descriptive keywords about your item in the title as possible.
• Your title doesn't have to be a compressive sentence
• Repeat the type of item (ie Dress, Coaster, Eco friendly)
• Include the size
How to write a good description?
• Again just like your title you should include as many descriptive keywords as possible that relate to your item. Think in your buyer’s shoes… If you were looking for an item like yours what words would you use to search for this product?
• It is also important to explain your item & the possible uses,
• Include the material used and include clear dimension or size information.
• If there a story behind your item, then it might be worth including this as it may appeal to your buyer.
• If your item requires special care, include the instructions so that the buyer is aware before buying.
Examples of keywords to include
• If your item is a blue include blue in your title & description.
• If your item is made with fabric that is a bird pattern include bird in your title & description
• If you item suits a particular person for example Dad include Dad in your title & description
I (Bec) use keywords to search for items for the Wednesday newsletter & front page. A few of my recent searches have been owl, tree, yellow, and heart. If your item is related to one of these searches and you don't include this word in your title & description then you may miss out on the opportunity to be featured!
What shouldn't you do?
Copy another sellers or website title & description. It is really important to put the effort into writing your own descriptions as you know your product the best and also other sellers has taken the time to describe their item and you should too.
Do not include external website in your descriptions or banner, you can however include your facebook, twitter & blog if you link back to your madeit store. If external web addresses are included in your descriptions or banner then you may be excluded from promotion of your products in our newsletters, blog interviews and spotlight interviews.