Wednesday, May 26, 2010

mum who makes :: How Tweetitis

mum who makes :: How Tweetitis
www.madeit.com.au/HowTweetitis

Tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Christine I am a 30’ish’ Mum to two wonderful children Jarvis (3) and Carys (nearly 2 but going on 20). I live in Adelaide, South Australia and I am a social butterfly who loves to spend time with my little ones experiencing life! I wont say no to a good night out on the dance floor or at a concert, I am addicted to John Hughes movies, celebrity magazines, daydreaming, shopping, and I am quite certain that I am allergic to camping so have decided not to give that one a go yet. I am lucky to have the best parents and sister in the world and great friends in my life who always support and encouraged me in whatever I do.

Can you explain your craft/art and the materials you like to use?
I make accessories for the young and the young at heart. I love to make items with a touch of vintage style and a sense of fun. I am inspired by my childhood memories and my obsession with 1950s Hollywood glam. I love to use Japanese fabrics, silk, lace, feathers and I can not go past a bit of bling! I am a bit of a closet sewer as well and have made some one off pieces for my daughter so who knows you may see some in store one day as well.

How long have you been creating and how did you get into making handmade goodies?
I have always had a creative streak in me, it started with story writing when I was in Primary School the teachers were amazed by the short stories I would write and I would often draw sketches of the characters from the stories. I also used to make kooky handmade presents for my parents. I have always loved fabrics and bought handmade where I could. After having my children and admiring their creativity, I found a renewed energy in to my crafts and started making things when they were napping (I know that is when Mummy is supposed to sleep). I absolutely love it and I only make things that I really enjoy creating and now I cant stop! I find I now whip out the sketch pad and draw out some design ideas and I love it when they turn out just as I had imagined.

How do you juggle motherhood & crafting/managing your business?
Lots of late nights! I do try to incorporate the kids were suitable. They love to see what I make and they have fun doing mini photo shoots with me. Even my son loves trying on my samples so I have a few shots for his 21st! The time I get to spend with them is so precious so I do try to make sure the time we have together is quality time, but I also think it is great for them to see me creating as often when we are crafting together they will say things like ‘look I am making pretty things like Mummy’ which always makes me smile.

Do you have any advice to other Mothers who are wanting to start creating handmade goodies?
Do it! I was very shy and reserved to share my creations with the world to start with, but now I am proud and I think that it is a great example for our children to respect handmade and creativity and you are only constrained by your imagination.
Some helpful tips are to get social online, I have found some great forums (like the one on Made It) where lots of businesses are more than helpful to share experiences with others. There are always places like Facebook and Twitter, which are a great way to promote what you do. I have also found markets a perfect opportunity to not only to you get to meet other crafters in person, but to see and meet your customers face to face is wonderful. I get a lot of joy from seeing little girls squealing with excitement at my creations and putting them on straight away. I wish you much luck and success if you do decide to give it a go!




4 comments:

  1. What a great interview Christine, filled with great experiences and advice. Cathy Atta xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant blog, very inspiring :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent interview I really enjoyed reading it. Good luck with your future ventures I know you will do well. :) Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your lovely comments I was so chuffed to do the interview :)

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails