Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Markets we Love :: The Bluebird Market (Blue Mountains)

Tell us a little bit about your market?
The Bluebird Market is an all handmade artisan market in the Blue Mountains of NSW and is held in the grounds of the beautiful historic Alexandra Hotel. The market overlooks the pretty village of Leura and has some spectacular views of the mountains. It's held on the first Saturday of each month, with a second market in December on the third Saturday of the month. We also have live music playing outside for most of the day and a charity raffle of donated items from local businesses. November's raffle benefits Save the Children's East Africa appeal.


























When/why did you start your market?

The Blue Mountains is renowned for it's creative community and although there were quite a few local markets, I felt that they were missing something. I had attended quite a few handmade only markets in Sydney and surrounds as a stall holder with my own clothing and accessories label and thought hey! this is what the mountains needs!

It was kind of one of those things that I thought about doing, but stuck it on the back burner until one day two months ago I made my mind up to go ahead with it, started getting the word out and voila! The Bluebird Market was born. The market launched in October and has gained so much in popularity that the November market is booked out for stall holders already.


























What is the favourite part about running your market?

My favourite part would have to be meeting and seeing all the talent in the region and bringing it all together in the one space. People are so incredibly talented, it's really nice meeting other like minded creative types. It's also nice to meet local people, stall holders and shoppers alike.


























Why do you love handmade so much?

Creating a handmade item makes me feel happy :) I use a lot of upcycled and vintage fabrics with my clothing and accessories line so I enjoy promoting sustainable fashion that is both functional and fun that is kind to our environment. Plus coming up with new ideas keeps
me on my toes!

Buying a handmade item also makes me feel happy:) I'm purchasing an item that is individual. A person who made it may make something similar, but the nature of handmade means that no two items will ever be the same. I also love supporting their talent and hopefully my purchase will help encourage and push them along further in their creative endeavours (I know it does when I get a purchase of something I have created!).



























Name 5 reason why your visitors should attend your market?

Atmosphere, Individuality, Friendliness, Magical, Fun.

......................................................................................................................................
Visit the The Bluebird Market Facebook Page for updates www.facebook.com/thebluebirdmarket

Next market 5th of November 2011!

Photos taken by Butterflyzee Photography
(click on the photos to visit madeit sellers)
......................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails