Wednesday, April 21, 2010

mum who makes :: Imagination In Flight

mum who makes :: Imagination In Flight
madeit.com.au/ImaginationShop

Tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Jessica and I live in northern suburb of Brisbane. I’m a single mum to my little man who is almost 12. Having just finished studying, now I’m trying to decide whether or not to go back to work or to continue to study.



Can you explain your craft/art and the materials you like to use?
I have come back to sewing after not doing much for years and I’m really loving it. So far my sewing has taken me to Pencil Rolls, Softies, Mini Bunting and my Woven felt baskets but who knows where it will end up. I also love to crochet, after trying a number of different things I found that people really like my crochet headbands. Although sewing and crocheting is my main source of creative outlet I do at times love to paint. A couple of year’s back I was given a box of my Grandpa’s inks and found their vibrant colours so beautiful.

How long have you been creating and how did you get into making handmade goodies?
Coming from a very creative family meant that from a very young age I started making things. I had always had projects on the go over the years, everything from crocheting to sewing to cross stitch to painting. Last year I finished up a contract on my job and found that I had some time at home. I started creating again and realized what had been missing from my life while working my high stress jobs. I couldn’t keep making things just for my family so I decided to start my own business.

How do you juggle motherhood & crafting/managing your business?
It’s a struggle sometimes, it’s taken some time but I have really learnt that there are times when you have to be flexible with your goals. There are a number of things that have really helped me to be able to juggle both my son and business. When setting up my business I setup half of my lounge room is my work area, I can still chat with my son, watch telly, be part of everything while working on my business. I always include my son in what I’m making and this has now extended to my son having his own shop Dion’s Buttons. He feels part of my world while getting to express his creative side.

Do you have any advice to other Mothers who are wanting to start creating handmade goodies?
You need to find out if what you are going to sell will actually sell. I made this mistake at the start, I love making crochet scarf's but that doesn’t mean that they will sell. I wasted quite a few months when I started my business trying to sell them without success. Also be prepared for your plan to change, e.g. I might not be making my crochet scarf's anymore but I do get to crochet my headbands.









2 comments:

  1. loving the gret felted storage! gorgeous

    Sandra Darling xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview Jessica :)

    really love your crochet headbands! and that fabulous woven basket...

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails