Wednesday, April 14, 2010

mum who makes :: tractorgirl

mum who makes :: tractorgirl
madeit.com.au/tractorgirl

Tell us a bit about yourself?
My partner and I live on a farm, with cereal cropping and sheep, near Wagga, NSW. We moved here about 14 years ago, and love it, despite the droughts of the last few years. We have three small children (5, and twins 3). It’s a great adventure for them, they love going and checking the stock and crops with daddy, and it’s nice having so much space for them to run around in.

Can you explain your craft/art and the materials you like to use?
I studied jewellery and silversmithing at Uni, and I love it. However, now I have small children around, it’s difficult to do, so now I sew. Because of my Fine Arts background, I have a large aesthetic resource to draw on - for instance, I am using classic motifs from various time frames and cultures for my current designs.


I always try to be gentle on the earth, and use upcycled components somewhere in all my pieces. For me, upcycling refers to fabrics that are remnants from old projects and other sources, and from clothing, homewares and remnants found in op shops. This saves it from going to landfill, and besides, some things are too beautiful to throw out!

How long have you been creating and how did you get into making handmade goodies?
Right from when I was little, I have always felt compelled to make something somehow, and it didn’t seem to matter too much what type of medium – drawing, textiles, then linocuts, and metal.

I have been selling things now and then ever since I finished Uni, but have always had a ‘proper’ job to provide my main income. Now, however, I’m a stay-at-home mother, and consequently I’m becoming much more involved in selling my work.

How do you juggle motherhood & crafting/managing your business?
Juggling the parent-artisan balance is very tricky; sometimes those constant little interruptions get incredibly annoying when I’m trying to concentrate on something. However, I get through it with a (flexible) routine, and a list of stuff to do everyday. The list is essential, as I am inclined to be easily distracted, AND I feel good when I mark stuff off.

Do you have any advice to other Mothers who are wanting to start creating handmade goodies?
Do it because you love it! I say this because I have found it very hard work to get noticed; the internet is a huge place and it’s easy to get lost. Promote promote and promote! And try and sell locally if you can.








3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Interview! very inspiring :)

    Just love all of your cushions, they are truly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your cushions love the designs good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work and love the brooch here.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails